WELCOME TO THE AMERICAN LEGION

America's Largest Veterans Service Organization

myLegion.org Icon
Social IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial Icons
legion-logo-home.jpg

HISTORY of American Legion Post 50

American Legion Post 50 of Peachtree City

was orginally chartered as Post 50 of College Park, GA

On November 12 1931, nineteen (19) Veterans met with a Department of Georgia representative for the purpose of discussing a plan for organizing an American Legion Post in College Park, Georgia. This meeting was held at the home of one of these men.

Those present were asked to serve as a membership committee and canvas all ex-servicemen for membership and meet with them. A letter was authorized to be written to all ex-servicemen in this community inviting them to the next meeting, to be held November 19th, 1931 at the old City Hall, College Park, Georgia.

Those founding members voted to name the post in honor of the only known WWI casualties from College Park, and Post 50 would henceforth be known as the "Lyle- Brewster" post. Dues were set at $3.00 per year.  A rousing vote of appreciation was given to the organizers for their work in organizing the first American Legion Post in College Park, GA.

Sergeant Douglas Conley Lyle, 21 years of age, was killed near Nance, France July 11th, 1918. He was the father of a six weeks old baby when he was killed.  1LT Eldon Foote Brewster, 22 years of age, was killed on July 18th, 1918. Both of these young men were members of outstanding families in College Park.

Application for a 'permanent' Charter was made August 18th, 1936. There were 30 Charter members at this time. The Charter for American Legion Auxiliary Unit 50 was signed on November 23rd, 1935. The first American Legion Post 50 Home was completed January 4th, 1940, the date the first meeting was held. This remained until another College Park property was purchased with the 1st property being sold to the City of College Park.

The rest of the story - 

Lyle-Brewster Post 50 moved to Peachtree City in the 90's and currently make their home co-located with the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Dixie Wings at their Hangar, on the Peachtree City Airport property - at 1200 Echo Ct, Peachtree City, GA.   We meet in the meeting hall in the CAF hanger.

Peachtree City has been the home for Post 50 for over 20 years.

 

 

 

 

 


TOP